Friday, August 15, 2008

Make Disciples

Diane Smith inspired me to put something on here today that hit me when I was reading Acts chapter 14 this morning. Verse 21 says this about Paul and Barnabas: "And when they had preached the gospel to that city and made many disciples, they returned to Lystra, Iconium, and Antioch..."

"Made many disciples...."

What does that mean? Does that mean the preached the gospel and people accepted Christ and then Paul and Barney just kept moving, or doest that mean they had an extended time of teaching people what it means to know Christ and to follow Him? Did they meet one on one with new believers? Did they have group Bible studies? What did it look like for these two men to "make many disciples" before they moved on?

I've known a lot of people, led a few small groups, done many Bible studies, but have I made many disciples? Have I given enough time and attention to those who need it, so that they may have a more intimate relationship with the One who gives us life?

Special thanks to Blue Letter Bible.com. Be sure to check it out, it has lots of cool helps for understanding Scripture.

1 comment:

JenP said...

I just wrote on your facebook page and then popped on over here. It is funny because that is exactly the question I started with last year as a girl asked me to meet with her to disciple her. It has been an adventure ever since. Love you.
Jen