Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Living ~ Blog #2

If you grew up in church, you probably know this song from 1 John, even in its King James:
  "Beloved, let us love one another (love one another)
   For love is from God and everyone that loveth is born of God
   And knoweth God
   He that loveth not...knoweth not God for God is love
   Beloved, let us love one another....1 John 4:7-8"

I was reading this passage this morning and the next verse - 9 - says "This is how God showed his love among us He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through Him."

What a gift of love- giving us life through Christ. But, I had to ask myself this morning, am I really living? And even harder- am I living through Jesus? That is God's gift to us- life in Christ. Am I taking full advantage of this gift?

I'd like to be able to say Yes! Of course! But some days, I'm living in my own strength and in my own flesh. I find myself living in a constant state of frustration- with my kids, with the mess in the house, with daily grind, with being sick and tired. And I know that's not what "living through Him" is supposed to look like. I know it. But, how can I live differently?

The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self- control. And I know Jesus to be kind, loving, patient, compassionate, and selfless. Maybe if I picked just one of these attributes today and worked on living like that, I'd come to live through Him a little more. Today.


No comments: